Peppermint Essential Oil
Do you get headaches often? Do you have trouble concentrating? Do you HATE when your nose is stuffy and you have trouble breathing? Do you need a little energy boost throughout the day? Do you hate having bad breath after eating lunch and then have to go into a meeting?
If so, then peppermint oil is essential for you to have! Peppermint oil has a myriad amount of benefits. It is one of my MUST have essential oils. I am constantly using it. I always keep one in my car and one at home. If I worked in an office I would have one in my office as well.
Facts about Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Peppermint Essential oil comes from the peppermint plant.
- Menthol and Menthone are the two main chemical components of Peppermint oil.
- This plant can be found in Europe and North America.
- It is in the mint family and a hybrid. Peppermint is a cross between spearmint and watermint.
How to use Peppermint Essential oil:
- Topical: Peppermint essential oil is a VERY strong oil. You ALWAYS want to use a carrier oil (Coconut oil, almond, castor, jojoba, vitamin E etc) when using this oil.
- Oral: This is NOT recommended, unless you know it is a pure oil and you know where it comes from and the source. You never want to put anything in your body that you are unfamiliar with, especially if this isn't a good quality oil.
- Diffuse / inhale: This one is very popular. One whiff of peppermint oil and you can really open up your nasal passage or give yourself a boost of energy. It can also help kill bacteria in the air or body.
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil:
(There are so many benefits to Peppermint Essential oil, but these are the most popular.)
- Relieving a headache: place peppermint oil on your temples and rub it in. Also place in on the spot that hurts the most. If it is a good quality oil take your thumb after rubbing the oil on your temples and place it on the roof of your mouth for ten seconds.
- Clearing a stuffy nose: Inhale peppermint oil to clear a stuffy nose. You can also put some under your nose to heal you breath and on your chest.
- Energy boost: Inhale peppermint oil for an instant pick me up.
- Get rid of bad breath: Make sure you have a good quality essential oil and a brand that you trust and know is real. Put two drops on your tongue. Do NOT overdo it. This is a very strong oil.
- Soothe body aches and pains: Rub Peppermint oil on sore muscles to help release the tension and heal quicker.
- Reduce a fever: Rub on your forehead, back of neck and on your feet to help bring a fever down.
- Stimulate circulation
- Relieve skin irritations from sunburns. NEVER use this without a carrier oil. You do NOT want to further burn the skin. You just want to soothe it.