Geranium Essential Oil:
Do you have trouble sleeping? Do you get stressed easily? Do you feel depressed? Do you have bad anxiety?
If so, then Geranium essential oil is for you! It is used in many cosmetics and perfumes, however it also has many health benefits as well. Geranium has many varieties and strains each differs in scent, but is pretty much identical in benefits and uses.
Facts about Geranium Oil:
- Steam distilled from the leaves of Pelargonium graveolens, a South African plant species.
- Grown throughout many regions including Asia and Europe.
- Has been used as early by the ancient Egyptians.
- Is an anti-inflammatory and an antiseptic. It is also an astringent and an antidepressant.
How to use Geranium oil:
- Topical: Always use a carrier oil when applying essential oils to your skin. Geranium is a great Anti-inflammatory oil. It is fantastic for skin issues like acne or wrinkles. You can also use it as a massage oil, it gives off a sensual scent.
- Oral: This is NOT recommended, unless you know it is a pure oil and you know where it comes from and the source. You never want to put anything in your body that you are unfamiliar with, especially if this isn't a good quality oil. Always consult with a doctor first. Geranium oil is said to help maintain healthy colon cells.
- Diffuse / inhale: Diffuse Geranium oil throughout your home at night to help lift your mood or repel unwanted insects.
Benefits of Geranium Oil: (There are so many benefits to Geranium oil, but these are the most popular.)
- Wrinkle Reducer: Geranium oil helps tighten facial skin and can also help slow down the process of aging. It is also said to help dry skin. You can put a drop or two in your face lotion or add it to a carrier oil like jojoba oil and apply it to your face, twice a day.
- Helps ease Muscle Cramps: If you are sore from a workout, Geranium oil could help! Apply the oil to the area with a carrier oil and massage into the skin focusing on the muscle.
- Athlete's Foot: Geranium essential oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Apply a few drops of Geranium oil to warm water, add some salt and soak your feet, twice a day. This can help natural get rid of your athlete's foot.
- Natural Deodorant: As stated above, Geranium oil has antibacterial properties, however it is also a circular oil which means that it exits the body through sweat, so forget body odor, now when you sweat you can smell as good as flowers. Grab a spray water bottle and for every tablespoon of water add a drop of Geranium.
- Bug Repellent: Geranium essential oil is a natural bug repellent. You can use the same spray bottle you made above for the natural deodorant as bug spray too!
- Alleviate Bug Bites: Not only can repel bugs, Geranium essential oil can help stop the itching from a bug bit and speed up the healing process. Mix Geranium Essential Oil with a little bit of baking soda and apply to the bug bite for some quick relief.
- Helps with Acne or dermatitis: Apply to the area with a carrier oil at least twice a day. I would avoid coconut oil as the carrier oil because coconut oil is acne prone.